Saturday 12 January 2008

You know you're in Europe when......


So! Today my house-mates arrived and I am loving it! They all have been here for 3 months before now and know all of the people from their countries that live close by. So today Lena (my German roommate) cooked a delicious dinner for us and invited a bunch of her friends round! Clara (from France) invited some of her friends round too! After dinner we say round and drank tea and talked. At one point the conversations broke off into different languages....Daniel and I spoke English and then there was a conversation in German and one in French.....soon Daniel and I stopped talking and started listening! It was amazing! I think today it finally sank in that I am no longer in America and am in Europe!
In the picture the names from left to right are: Martha, Kristen, Lena, Anna, and Clara.....Lena and Clara live with me!
Other than my language revelation, I think today was the best day so far! A girl that visited the house tonight (she is not in the picture) told me how to fix the fuse and that has really brightened my day! Also, today was the end of orientation and tomorrow is my first day to not have a schedule and really explore! I am looking forward to it! Well, I should go to bed because its very late! Good night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was unaware that "tea" comes in Champagne bottles in jolly ole England?

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you for being so brave and doing something that many people would never dream of doing.I remember the first time that I moved away from home to a place where I knew no one. It is an unsettling and weird feeling but one that makes you so much stronger as a person. Have fun and enjoy your new friends.