Sunday 27 January 2008

Day Trip to Dover

Yesterday Mitch, Daniel, and I took a day trip to the town of Dover (as in "White Cliffs of") and witnessed the White Cliffs first hand! Since Dover is only about 30 minutes away we didn't start until later in the day (cause sleeping in is precious no matter how many times you do it) and took the 12:20 bus to Dover. Our first order of business was to find some Fish and Chips since we were on the coast and that is the best place to get fish! We found some at a pub and it was DELICIOUS! I ate the whole thing and was so full, but likely I had a lot f walking ahead of me so it was ok! One thingI noticed about going to a pub around 1 in the afternoon was how many people had pints! Its 5 o'clock somewhere...right? Anyway, we walked down to the English Chanel and I touched it! Before I touched I was thinking it would be really cool to swim across it.....after touching it I'm thinking its really cold and I probably will not be swimming in it! We saw the White Cliffs and walked along the water for awhile! Then we decided to go check out the Castle because it has secret tunnels and that's cool! (Sidebar....the European students are not as impressed by castles as we are because they have castles everywhere....but to me castles will always be awesome! Too bad America missed that whole castle phase....) We took the bus up to the castle but when we got there they told us that they were closing in 40 minutes. We decided to do the castle another day....since it was 10 pounds to get in. So, we walked back down the big hill through some really cool paths and out on the pier (which was like half a kilometer long) and got a really good view of the cliffs! Then we called it a day and went home. It was a good day and we learned that it is better to not sleep in when exploring the country because everything closes at like 4:00. I look forward to exploring more of Kent.....it is my playground!

1 comment:

stuebi said...

This '5 o'clock somewhere' is certainly not Europe, I'm afraid... In Germany we even do have a special kind a beer that you should drink before 12 o'clock, i.e. for breakfast only.