Thursday 10 January 2008

First Thoughts


Well, I am in England!!!! I don't really know what to think yet or how to feel. I feel overloaded. I am excited, anxious, sad, happy, grateful, hopeful, worried, and this is all compounded by being tired.....so very tired. I am looking forward to classes starting (especially my theater class). I am realizing more and more what a wonderful experience this is! I am feeling closer to myself than I have in a long time. I think by the end of the semester I will know myself much better. When we checked into our rooms the woman that checked us in was named Lucy Tyler (which is my mother's exact name)!!!! It was like a little message for God that its going to be ok and that I will be at home here eventually. I am really glad to have my own room so that I can get away from it all and really think. But enough about me!
I love how new everything feels! Mitch and I went to the campus shop today and behind the counter there was cigarettes and hard liquor.....in the campus store...WHAT?!?! Also, there are a lot of words here that are almost like our words but just slightly different (for example "overspill parking" instead of overflow). Everything just takes a little more thought than my life at home. Time and money are the two big ones. On the schedule it say 14.00 hrs for a meeting time and although its easy enough to figure out that that means 2:00 pm it just takes a little more thought. And when I pay for something exact change takes a lot longer. And they have a 2 pence coin thats bigger than all the other coins......what's the point of that?!?! I dunno. Well, I have to go to a meeting in a few minutes to learn more about my new school!

1 comment:

Guy Patching said...

The two pence coin is bigger than the others because it is a cheaper metal. From five pence onwards it gets bigger until the metal changes again to the pounds and then it's up until the notes.