Monday 14 January 2008

Adventure in the Cathedral!

On Saturday the international students were given the opportunity to take a tour of the Cathedral in town. When I visited the town of Canterbury this summer I did not go into the Cathedral so this was a new adventure for me! It is really a breathtaking experience! Especially after having studied the play Murder in the Cathedral it was really neat to see the place where Beckett was
killed! The first picture (from right to left) is a picture of the shrine to Beckett where all the pilgrims came to pay homage to Saint Beckett. The next picture is an alter which is in the place where Thomas Beckett was slain. It is really modern looking and creepy...in a good way. Notice at the bottom it says Thomas! The last picture is looking out from the shrine into the rest of the Cathedral! It is really a breathtaking view! Another neat thing that I saw while (or whilst as they say here) is the tomb of Henry IV. I read the first part of Shakespeare's play about Henry IV's life this past semester and it was cool to see the tomb of a man who Shakespeare saw fit to right about! And, interestingly enough, Henry's tomb is right across from Prince Edward's tomb (Edward was father to Richard II who was dethroned and killed on the command of Henry IV). But enough history for tonight!

In other news........I start my first class tomorrow! I finally got my schedule worked out and I only have class on Tuesday and Wednesday! I will have a 5 day weekend every week! This is going to be great for those of you who are visiting me! It will also be great for all my traveling needs! The Annie song comes to mind...."I think I'm gunna like it here!".....

No comments: