Sunday 20 January 2008

London Calling

So on Wednesday afternoon Mitch skyped me up and said, "Hey Martha you wanna go to London this weekend?" And I said, "Um....yes!" I then knocked on my housemate, Daniel's door and asked, "Hey Daniel you wanna go to London this weekend?" and he replied, "Um....yes!" You see, since Canterbury is so close to London you could buy a round trip ticket for as little as 2 pounds. Since we waited so long ours was more like 12 pounds but still!!! And so we booked tickets on a bus to London for a day! And with a little more planning I think we could make this a simi-regular thing! We left the Canterbury around 8:15 (when my alarm went off at 6:30 I didn't think this whole London thing was quite as cool anymore....but I got over that very quickly) and drove through the countryside toward London! Mitch wasn't feeling well on the bus, however, and when we arrived at the bus station he opted to remain close to the facilities while Daniel and I went to the half price ticket window to see if we could go see any shows. Our first choice was Les Mis, but they only had restricted view and I really wanted to be able to see the show (demanding, I know) and so we opted for a less well
known show called Dealer's Choice. Mitch still wasn't
feeling well so he didn't get a ticket :(. He did feel up for
a walk to Westminster Abbey though! We were all excited
about going in and seeing the Poet's corner (where a lot of
famous poets are buried namely Chaucer) and the beautiful
architecture. When we arrived we discovered that it was their day of prayer and one of the few days a year that the Abbey is closed to visitors. They were still open for Even Song and so we decided to come back for that at 3. While we waited we walked around Parliament and got some lunch in a sandwich shop! As we set out for Westminster again we ran into another group of American students studying at Kent (small world) and they said they were headed to the National Gallery Daniel decided to go with them while Mitch and I went to Even Song. It was a beautiful service and the music sounded amazing in the Abbey! Afterwards Mitch decided it was time for him to go home! I met up with Daniel and the others in the National Gallery! Then we went to a pub but by the time we found one it was almost time for Daniel and I to head to the theater. So we said goodbye and walked to our theater. The show was very good and extremely well acted! Then we headed back to the bus station and headed back to campus! All and all it was a very successful trip! I am excited to do it again! With almost all of the museums being free it is wonderful to think that I can do London for as little as 10 pounds a day! I also feel a sense of pride that I did a mini trip all by myself! Even this summer when I went we had a professor who planned out the majority of the trip! This was all me and I feel it was a success! I look forward to going back again soon!
*I would also like to say a thank you to everyone that's reading my blog! I have been getting a lot of good feedback about it in sometimes unexpected places! If you ever want to comment on something (even to just say it cool) please do because then it becomes an even better communication tool! I like knowing how my friends and family are reacting! I miss you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you waiting for Dr. Who in that phone booth?

Glad you are not neglecting your education for your studies sweety!